X

• تصفية - فلترة
  • الوقت
  • عرض
إلغاء تحديد الكل
مشاركات جديدة

• تجديد حياة كاميرا قديمة Bringing New Life to an Old Camera

Bringing New Life to an Old Camera

Maybe this has happened to you, too: You head out with your camera, ready to take some great photos, only to find that you left your memory card at home or forgot to charge your battery. (If this hasn’t happened to you, maybe you’re less distracted than I am.) In such a situation, you might be glad to have an old backup camera along with you, to bring back at least a few photos from the field.

One spring morning, I set out to photograph the Blue and Crested Tits around our cottage in the mountains. Everything was perfect: the birds were landing where I wanted, and the morning light was beautiful. However, I learned that my camera batteries were at zero. I had no choice but to reach for my son’s Nikon D90, mount it on my Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6, and take it for a test run.

Although the light was nice, there wasn’t much of it. With my Nikon D500, I would have set ISO 3200, but I didn’t find the courage to set that on the D90. With this nearly 15-year-old camera, ISO 3200 and anything higher is certainly suitable for photographing the Loch Ness monster or a UFO, but not ideal for serious photography.

Because I wanted to take home some usable photos, I chose a fairly conservative ISO 1600 instead. By today’s standards, this ISO sensitivity can be used even for landscape photography without much issue, but fifteen years ago with an APS-C camera, it was about the limit of usability.

Camera sensors have made great progress in the past fifteen years, but editing software has also taken a giant leap. Almost every software from Lightroom/Photoshop to its many competitors have drastically improved their noise reduction over time. So I also wondered if, using my current software, I could make the photos at ISO 1600 pretty usable.

In order to create a reference point, I converted (in camera) the original RAW file to a JPEG. I leave the image below uncropped so that you can judge the image quality of this 12.3MP sensor from 2008, downsampled to web resolution.
    In-camera RAW to JPG conversion. NIKON D90 @ 500mm, ISO 1600, 1/800, f/5.6

ربما حدث هذا لك أيضًا: تخرج بالكاميرا، مستعدًا لالتقاط بعض الصور الرائعة، لتكتشف أنك تركت بطاقة الذاكرة الخاصة بك في المنزل أو نسيت شحن البطارية. (إذا لم يحدث هذا لك، فربما تكون أقل تشتيتًا مني). في مثل هذه الحالة، قد تكون سعيدًا بامتلاك كاميرا احتياطية قديمة معك، لتتمكن من استعادة بعض الصور على الأقل من مجال.

في صباح أحد أيام الربيع، شرعت في تصوير الثديين الأزرقين والمتوجين حول كوخنا في الجبال. كان كل شيء مثاليًا: كانت الطيور تهبط حيث أردت، وكان ضوء الصباح جميلًا. ومع ذلك، علمت أن بطاريات الكاميرا الخاصة بي كانت فارغة. لم يكن لدي أي خيار سوى الوصول إلى كاميرا Nikon D90 الخاصة بابني، وتثبيتها على كاميرا Nikon مقاس 200-500 مم f/5.6، وأخذها لإجراء اختبار التشغيل.

على الرغم من أن الضوء كان جميلاً، إلا أنه لم يكن هناك الكثير منه. باستخدام كاميرا Nikon D500، كنت سأقوم بتعيين ISO 3200، لكنني لم أجد الشجاعة اللازمة لضبط ذلك على كاميرا D90. مع هذه الكاميرا التي يبلغ عمرها 15 عامًا تقريبًا، تعد ISO 3200 وأي شيء أعلى مناسبة بالتأكيد لتصوير وحش بحيرة لوخ نيس أو جسم غامض، ولكنها ليست مثالية للتصوير الفوتوغرافي الجاد.

ولأنني أردت التقاط بعض الصور القابلة للاستخدام، فقد اخترت ISO 1600 محافظًا إلى حد ما بدلاً من ذلك. وفقًا لمعايير اليوم، يمكن استخدام حساسية ISO هذه حتى لتصوير المناظر الطبيعية دون مشكلة كبيرة، ولكن قبل خمسة عشر عامًا مع كاميرا APS-C، كان الأمر يتعلق بحدود سهولة الاستخدام.

حققت مستشعرات الكاميرا تقدمًا كبيرًا في الخمسة عشر عامًا الماضية، لكن برامج التحرير حققت أيضًا قفزة هائلة. لقد قامت كل البرامج تقريبًا، بدءًا من Lightroom/Photoshop وحتى العديد من المنافسين، بتحسين تقليل الضوضاء بشكل كبير بمرور الوقت. لذلك تساءلت أيضًا عما إذا كان بإمكاني، باستخدام برنامجي الحالي، جعل الصور عند ISO 1600 قابلة للاستخدام بشكل جيد.

من أجل إنشاء نقطة مرجعية، قمت بتحويل ملف RAW الأصلي (في الكاميرا) إلى ملف JPEG. أترك الصورة أدناه بدون اقتصاص حتى تتمكن من الحكم على جودة الصورة لهذا المستشعر بدقة 12.3 ميجابكسل من عام 2008، مع تقليل حجمها إلى دقة الويب.

تحويل RAW إلى JPG داخل الكاميرا. نيكون D90 عند 500 ملم، ISO 1600، 1/800، f/5.6

As you can see, the resulting photo certainly cannot be described as noise-free. However, if we don’t view it at 100% magnification, it is pretty usable. The sharpness and colors are not dazzling, but it should be considered that this is an unedited photo. Certainly with better post-processing, the image would be acceptable for online display, something like this:
    NIKON D90 + 200-500mm f/5.6 @ 500mm, ISO 1600, 1/800, f/5.6

كما ترون، لا يمكن بالتأكيد وصف الصورة الناتجة بأنها خالية من الضوضاء. ومع ذلك، إذا لم ننظر إليها بتكبير 100%، فهي قابلة للاستخدام إلى حد كبير. الحدة والألوان ليست مبهرة، ولكن ينبغي اعتبار أن هذه صورة غير محررة. بالتأكيد مع معالجة لاحقة أفضل، ستكون الصورة مقبولة للعرض عبر الإنترنت، شيء من هذا القبيل:

كاميرا نيكون D90 + 200-500 مم، f/5.6 @ 500 مم، ISO 1600، 1/800، f/5.6

تعليق

However, the measure of a photographer’s work should not be an Instagram post, but a printed photograph. I wanted to see if I could get usable prints out of these images using my current photographic process and newer software.

First, I pre-edited the RAW file with DxO Pure Raw, to remove lens aberrations, reduce noise, and sharpen the image. (I’ve talked about the process before here.) I then did careful tweaking of color rendition and contrast in Capture One – although I’ll wait until a future article to dive into full detail.

Let’s take a look at the resulting photos instead. On the left (“before”) is the out-of-camera JPEG, and on the right is the version with modern tools:

ومع ذلك، لا ينبغي أن يكون مقياس عمل المصور منشورًا على Instagram، بل صورة مطبوعة. كنت أرغب في معرفة ما إذا كان بإمكاني الحصول على مطبوعات قابلة للاستخدام من هذه الصور باستخدام عملية التصوير الفوتوغرافي الحالية والبرامج الأحدث.

أولاً، قمت بتحرير ملف RAW مسبقًا باستخدام DxO Pure Raw لإزالة انحرافات العدسة وتقليل الضوضاء وزيادة وضوح الصورة. (لقد تحدثت عن العملية من قبل هنا.) ثم أجريت تعديلات دقيقة على عرض الألوان والتباين في Capture One - على الرغم من أنني سأنتظر حتى مقالة مستقبلية للتعمق في التفاصيل الكاملة.

دعونا نلقي نظرة على الصور الناتجة بدلا من ذلك. على اليسار ("قبل") يوجد ملف JPEG خارج الكاميرا، وعلى اليمين يوجد الإصدار المزود بالأدوات الحديثة:

تعليق

I think those speak for themselves. Aside from the obvious resolution limit of 12.3 megapixels, I dare say that the photographs are perfectly suited to today’s requirements for exhibition prints.

In fact, that the photo of the Nuthatch – taken by my then five-year-old son – won the first place in the children’s category of the Czech Nature Photo competition! I think that proves it. (I also think I’m allowed a bit of bragging on his behalf

Even if it were necessary to print a low-resolution photograph at a larger sin, there are powerful tools today that can reliably extrapolate photographs by 2x, 4x, or even more. But that’s another story.

أعتقد أن هؤلاء يتحدثون عن أنفسهم. وبصرف النظر عن حد الدقة الواضح البالغ 12.3 ميجابكسل، أجرؤ على القول إن الصور الفوتوغرافية مناسبة تمامًا لمتطلبات اليوم لمطبوعات المعارض.

في الواقع، فازت صورة البندق - التي التقطها ابني البالغ من العمر خمس سنوات آنذاك - بالمركز الأول في فئة الأطفال في مسابقة صور الطبيعة التشيكية! أعتقد أن هذا يثبت ذلك. (أعتقد أيضًا أنه يُسمح لي بالقليل من التفاخر نيابة عنه ​

حتى لو كان من الضروري طباعة صورة منخفضة الدقة بخطيئة أكبر، فهناك أدوات قوية اليوم يمكنها بشكل موثوق استقراء الصور بمقدار 2x، أو 4x، أو حتى أكثر. لكن هذه قصة أخرى.

تعليق

So, what is the point of my photographic contemplation today? No, I’m not exactly telling you to dig out long-forgotten old cameras from the depths of your cabinets. (Although, as I mentioned before, even that can come in handy sometimes as a backup.) A more practical takeaway from this article is that you should revisit some of your photos from the past and try to breathe new life into them with modern editing software.

If I’ve inspired you to do a little archaeological exploration into the depths of your archives, I’d be delighted. Maybe this will not only bring new life to your old files, but also dust off some forgotten memories.

تعليق

إذن، ما المغزى من تأملي الفوتوغرافي اليوم؟ لا، أنا لا أطلب منك بالضبط استخراج الكاميرات القديمة المنسية منذ فترة طويلة من أعماق خزائنك. (على الرغم من أنه كما ذكرت من قبل، حتى ذلك يمكن أن يكون مفيدًا في بعض الأحيان كنسخة احتياطية.) والوجهة الأكثر عملية من هذه المقالة هي أنه يجب عليك إعادة النظر في بعض صورك من الماضي ومحاولة بث حياة جديدة فيها من خلال التحرير الحديث. برمجة.

إذا كنت قد ألهمتك للقيام ببعض الاستكشاف الأثري في أعماق أرشيفاتك، سأكون سعيدًا. ربما لن يؤدي هذا إلى إضفاء حياة جديدة على ملفاتك القديمة فحسب، بل سيؤدي أيضًا إلى إزالة الغبار عن بعض الذكريات المنسية.

تعليق

يعمل...
            X